This European standard specifies safety requirements relating to the design and construction of multi-roll calenders intended for the processing of rubber or plastics.
This standard concerns the calender alone including all components fixed to its frame.
Annex A shows examples of various types of calenders and annex B shows examples of calendaring processes.
The following machines are excluded:
- two-roll calenders forming an integral unit with an extruder (roller head);
- two or three-roll polishing , laminating or embossing units (which are not calenders) installed downstream of extruders in film processing lines.
This standard deals with the significant hazards listed in clause 4.
The following hazards are not dealt with:
- hazards generated by the materials being processed (see informative annex C);
- hazards generated by the processing of explosive materials, or materials which give rise to an explosive atmosphere;
- fire hazards due to ignition of flammable materials by contact with hot parts of the calender (e.g. in case of oil leakage);
- hazards due to electromagnetic, laser or ionising radiation;
- hazards generated if the calender is installed in an explosive atmosphere.
This standard applies to machinery manufactured after the date of approval of this standard by CEN.
Legislation related to this standard
Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 May 2006 on machinery, and amending Directive 95/16/EC (recast)Harmonized/Supporting
99.60 Withdrawal effective
Dec 11, 2019