This European Standard specifies safety requirements for design of tail lifts as defined in 3.1 for mounting on wheeled goods vehicles. It also specifies the verification of such tail lifts and the safety information that shall be provided for their use.
This European Standard deals with the technical requirements to minimize the hazards listed in clause 4 which can arise during the operation of tail lifts when carried out in accordance with the specifications as intended by the manufacturer or his authorized representative.
It applies to tail lifts :
- used for the purpose of loading and/or unloading such vehicles ;
- intended to be fitted, temporarily or permanently, either inside or on the front, side or rear of the wheeled vehicle ;
- driven either by hand or electric powered ;
- equipped with a platform to support loads which comprise goods, an operator, or a combination of the two ;
- with a maximum lifting height not exceeding 3 m above ground, the measurement shall be made when the platform is unloaded ;
- rotary type with a maximum lifting height not exceeding 2 m ;
- used as a link bridge when intended by the manufacturer.
NOTE A tail lift should not be confused with a link bridge attached to a loading dock which is included within the definition of a dock leveller and is outside the scope of this standard.
Loading and/or unloading operations include the use of a tail lift to lift and/or lower loads
This European Standard does not establish the additional requirements for :
- operation in severe conditions (e.g. extreme environmental conditions such as freezer applications, high temperatures, corrosive environment, tropical environment, contaminating environments, strong magnetic fields) ;
- operations subject to special rules (e.g. potentially explosive atmospheres) ;
- supply by electrical networks and the electrical circuit ;
- power take off part of the system ;
- cable less remote control and electronic equipment ;
Legislation related to this standard
Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 May 2006 on machinery, and amending Directive 95/16/EC (recast)Harmonized/Supporting
99.60 Withdrawal effective
Aug 18, 2021