This standard specifies the essential safety requirements for injection moulding machines for the processing of plastics and/or rubber.
All hazards listed in Clause 4 are covered by this standard.
The following machines are not covered:
- machines on which the clamping unit can only be operated by the physical force of the operator;
- injection moulding machines with pneumatic drives for the platen movement;
- injection moulding machines with vertical platen movements driven by an electrical axis;
- blow moulding machines associated with an injection process (EN 422);
- machines for reaction injection moulding (RIM) (EN 1612-1);
- presses (EN 289)
- footwear moulding machines covered by EN 1845.
The safety requirements for the interaction between injection moulding machines and ancillary equipment are specified.
This standard covers magnetic clamping systems only if:
- machines have horizontal clamping units; and
- the mould area is protected by guards; and
- such systems are delivered at the same time as the injection moulding machine by the machine manufacturer.
This standard does not cover requirements for the design of an exhaust system.
This standard is not applicable to injection moulding machines which are manufactured before the date of its publication as an EN.
Directives related to this standards.
Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 May 2006 on machinery, and amending Directive 95/16/EC (recast)Harmonized