IEC 60335-2-25:2020 is available as IEC 60335-2-25:2020 RLV which contains the International Standard and its Redline version, showing all changes of the technical content compared to the previous edition.
IEC 60335-2-25:2019 deals with the safety of microwave ovens for household and similar use, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
This standard also deals with combination microwave ovens, for which Annex AA is applicable.
This standard also deals with microwave ovens intended to be used on board ships, for which Annex BB is applicable.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. However, if the appliance is intended to be used professionally to process food for commercial purposes, the appliance is not considered to be for household and similar use only.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
– commercial microwave ovens (IEC 60335-2-90);
– industrial microwave heating equipment (IEC 60519-6);
– appliances for medical purposes (IEC 60601);
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
This seventh edition cancels and replaces the sixth edition published in 2010, Amendment 1:2014 and Amendment 2:2015. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant changes with respect to the sixth edition:
– 11.7 and 19.13 are improved in clarity;
– in 19.102, a note is converted into normative text;
– 19.101 is improved with an alternative measurement method;
– 22.121 is improved with requirements for simultaneous activation of heating elements and motors;
– 15.2, 15.101, 21, 22.102, 22.112, 22.119, 22.120, 24.101 and 27.1 are improved in clarity;
– Annex A has editorial improvements and feasible limits of deviations.
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of the fifth edition (2010) of that standard.