IEC 60143-1:2015 applies both to capacitor units and capacitor banks intended to be used connected in series with an a.c. transmission or distribution line or circuit forming part of an a.c. power system having a frequency of 15 Hz to 60 Hz. The primary focus of this standard is on transmission application. The series capacitor units and banks are usually intended for high-voltage power systems. This standard is applicable to the complete voltage range. This standard does not apply to capacitors of the self-healing metallized dielectric type. The following capacitors, even if connected in series with a circuit, are excluded from this standard:
- capacitors for inductive heat-generating plants (IEC 60110-1);
- capacitors for motor applications and the like (IEC 60252 (all parts));
- capacitors to be used in power electronics circuits (IEC 61071);
- capacitors for discharge lamps (IEC 61048 and IEC 61049). For standard types of accessories such as insulators, switches, instrument transformers, external fuses, etc. see the pertinent IEC standard. The object of this standard is:
- to formulate uniform rules regarding performance, testing and rating;
- to formulate specific safety rules;
- to serve as a guide for installation and operation. This fifth edition cancels and replaces the fourth edition, published in 2004. This edition constitutes a technical revision. The main change with respect to the previous edition is that the endurance test has been replaced by an ageing test because voltage cycling is already performed in the cold duty test. The guide section has been expanded regarding long line correction and altitude correction. In addition the insulation tables and references to other standards have been updated.
Keywords: a.c. transmission or distribution line, capacitor units and banks for high-voltage power systems
The contents of the corrigendum of April 2017 have been included in this copy.