This document provides terms and definitions for rail networks and rail vehicles guided by track and wheels, both made of steel and/or other materials.
This includes heavy rail and urban rail systems.
This document is applicable as a reference for future European Standards and the revision of existing standards and represents a set of general technical terms and definitions.
This document does not apply to specific applications such as:
- track construction and maintenance machines not travelling on rails;
- road-rail machines when not travelling on rails;
- magnetic levitation transport networks and vehicles;
- guided busways and guided busses;
- non-public rail networks and vehicles, e.g. mine rail systems;
- rail networks and vehicles exclusively for leisure, historical and tourist purposes, e.g. mountain-, field-, park-, cable rail systems, funiculars and theme park rides;
- trolley busses.
Not in the scope are terms and definitions related to:
- control command and signalling,
- geographical aspects.
60.60 Standard published
Oct 4, 2023