(1) EN 1993-3 applies to the design (strength, stability and fatigue) of towers, masts and chimney structures, designated in this part generally by ‘structures’, that fall into any of the following classifications, with the exceptions given in (3), (4) and (5):
a) self-supporting towers and guyed masts with or without attachments;
b) chimney structures of circular cross-section that are cantilevered, supported at intermediate levels or guyed.
The shafts of masts and towers can be of lattice type or of circular or polygonal cross-section.
NOTE 1 The structures are mainly exposed to wind loading.
NOTE 2 For overhead transmission line towers see also EN 50341.
(2) The provisions in this Part supplement those given in EN 1993-1.
(3) This Part does not cover the design of:
a) polygonal and circular lighting columns covered by EN 40;
NOTE EN40 specifies the requirements and dimensions for lighting columns and it applies to post top columns not exceeding 20 m height and for post top lanterns and columns with brackets not exceeding 18 m height for side entry lanterns.
b) wind turbine towers (see IEC 61400).
(4) This Part does not cover special provisions for seismic design, which are given in EN 1998. See also EN 13084-1.
(5) Special measures that might be necessary to limit the consequences of accidents are not covered in this Part. For resistance to fire, reference is made to EN 1993-1-2.
(6) Provisions for the guys of guyed structures are given in EN 1993-1-11 and supplemented in this Part.
(7) For the execution reference is made to EN 1090 with the supplementary requirements given in Annex E of this Part. For the execution of chimneys, reference is made also to EN 13084-1.
NOTE Execution is covered to the extent that is necessary to indicate the quality of the construction materials and products that should be used and the standard of workmanship on site needed to comply with the assumptions of the design rules.
(8) For provisions concerning aspects, such as chemical attack, thermo-dynamical performance or thermal insulation of chimneys see EN 13084-1. For the design of liners see EN 13084-6.
(9) Foundations are covered in EN 1997. See also EN 13084-1.
(10) Wind loads and procedures for the wind response of structures are specified in EN 1991-1-4.