50.60 Close of voting. Proof returned by secretariat Feb 19, 2022
CEN/TC 256 Railway applications
" This European Standard specifies the characteristics and the performance requirements of the Passenger Alarm System (PAS). The aim of the Passenger Alarm System is to:
- allow passengers, in case of emergency situations, to inform the driver;
-allow the driver to keep the train moving or to stop the train at a safe location;
- stop the train automatically:
a) at a platform,
b) if there is no acknowledgement by the driver.
This European Standard covers the PAS fitted to the passenger carrying rolling stock and specifies:
- the functional requirements for an alarm triggered in the driving cab (Clause 6);
- the communication channel between the driver and passengers or on-board staff (6.4)
- the dynamic analysis of the PAS (Clause 7);
- the requirements for the degraded modes management (Clause 8);
- the safety related requirements (Clause 9);
- requirements for the Passenger Alarm Device (PAD) and PAD area (Clause 10).
This European Standard applies to mainline rolling stock, which is in the field of the EU Directive 2008/57/EC. This standard does not apply to metros, trams and light rail, as defined by the CEN/CENELEC Guide 26.
Existing Passenger Alarm Systems may require modification to work in conjunction with vehicles that comply with this standard.
NOTE 1 Most of the requirements of UIC 541-6 are compliant with this standard.
Other communications systems such as "communication device for passengers", "call for aid", "emergency call" or "call for assistance" are covered by EN 16683."
Legislation related to this standard
Directive (EU) 2016/797 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 May 2016 on the interoperability of the rail system within the European Union (Text with EEA relevance)
50.60 Close of voting. Proof returned by secretariat
Feb 19, 2022