This European Standard specifies ranges, construction, performances, output characteristics and testing of rotary displacement gas meters (hereinafter referred to as RD meters or simply meters) for gas volume measurement.
This European Standard applies to rotary displacement gas meters used to measure the volume of fuel gases of at least the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gas families, the composition of which is specified in EN 437:2003+A1:2009, at a maximum working pressure up to and including 20 bar over an ambient and gas temperature range of at least −10 °C to +40 °C.
This European Standard applies to meters that are installed in locations with vibration and shocks of low significance and in
• closed locations (indoor or outdoor with protection as specified by the manufacturer) with condensing or with non-condensing humidity
or, if specified by the manufacturer,
• open locations (outdoor without any covering) with condensing humidity or with non-condensing humidity;
Unless otherwise specified in this standard:
• all pressures used are gauge;
• all influence quantities, except the one under test, are kept relatively constant at their reference value.
This European Standard also applies to meters with a maximum allowable pressure PS and the volume V of less than 6 000 bar • litres or with a product of PS and DN of less than 3 000 bar.
NOTE These limits are the same as in EU directive 97/23/EC.
This European Standard can be used for both pattern approval and individual meter testing. Cross-reference tables are given in:
• Annex A for the tests that need to be undertaken for pattern approval;
• Annex B for individual meter testing.
Some parts of this standard cover meters with mechanical index only.
The risk philosophy adopted in this standard is based on the analysis of hazards on account of pressure. The standard applies principles to eliminate or reduce hazards. Where these hazards cannot be eliminated appropriate protection measures are specified.
Legislation related to this standard
Directive 2014/68/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 15 May 2014 on the harmonisation of the laws of the Member States relating to the making available on the market of pressure equipment
Directive 2014/32/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 February 2014 on the harmonisation of the laws of the Member States relating to the making available on the market of measuring instruments