Scope of FprEN 1990
(1) This document establishes principles and requirements for the safety, serviceability, robustness and durability of structures, including geotechnical structures, appropriate to the consequences of failure.
(2) This document is intended to be used in conjunction with the other Eurocodes for the design of buildings and civil engineering works, including temporary structures.
(3) This document describes the basis for structural and geotechnical design and verification according to the limit state principle.
(4) The verification methods in this document are based primarily on the partial factor method.
NOTE 1 Alternative methods are given in the other Eurocodes for specific applications.
NOTE 2 The Annexes to this document also provide general guidance concerning the use of alternative methods.
(5) This document is also applicable for:
- structural assessment of existing structures;
- developing the design of repairs, improvements and alterations;
- assessing changes of use.
NOTE Additional or amended provisions can be necessary.
(6) This document is applicable for the design of structures where materials or actions outside the scope of EN 1991 (all parts) to EN 1999 (all parts) are involved.
NOTE In this case, additional or amended provisions can be necessary.
(1) It is assumed that reasonable skill and care appropriate to the circumstances is exercised in the design, based on the knowledge and good practice generally available at the time the structure is designed.
(2) It is assumed that the design of the structure is made by appropriately qualified and experienced personnel.
(3) The design rules provided in the Eurocodes assume that:
- execution will be carried out by personnel having appropriate skill and experience;
- adequate control and supervision will be provided during design and execution of the works, whether in factories, plants, or on site;
- construction materials and products will be used in accordance with the Eurocodes, in the relevant product and execution standards, and project specifications;
- the structure will be adequately maintained;
- the structure will be used in accordance with the design assumptions.
NOTE Guidance on management measures to satisfy the assumptions for design and execution is given in
Legislation related to this standard
Regulation (eu) No 305/2011 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9 march 2011 laying down harmonised conditions for the marketing of construction products and repealing council directive 89/106/eec
Directive (EU) 2016/797 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 May 2016 on the interoperability of the rail system within the European Union (Text with EEA relevance)
60.60 Standard published
Mar 22, 2023