This document, used together with EN ISO 4254-1, specifies the safety requirements and their verification for the design and construction of mounted, semi-mounted, trailed or self-propelled machines that have a combination of two or more of the following functions: loading, mixing, chopping and distributing silage and/or other feedstuffs or materials used for animal bedding such as straw, to be used by one operator only. It includes those fitted with a built-in loading crane. In addition, it specifies the type of information on safe working practices (including residual risks) to be provided by the manufacturer.
This document applies only to machines that have the following functional combinations:
- mixing and distributing functions;
- mixing, chopping and distributing functions;
- loading, mixing and distributing functions;
- loading, mixing, chopping and distributing functions;
- chopping and distributing functions; or
- loading, chopping and distributing functions.
Silage block cutters, even if they carry out a single function, are covered by this document.
This document does not apply to:
- machines which pick up green fodder directly from the field;
- loading cranes;
- silage buckets;
- round or rectangular unbalers.
NOTE 1 Loading cranes are dealt with in EN 12999:2011+A2:2018.
NOTE 2 Autonomous silage loading, mixing and/or chopping and distributing machines (robotic feed systems) will be dealt with in a separate standard (under preparation).
This document deals with the significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to machines for loading, mixing and/or chopping and distributing silage and/or other feedstuffs, when they are used as intended and under the conditions foreseen by the manufacturer as listed in Clause 4, except for the hazards arising from:
- failure of the control circuit;
- inadequate seating;
- inadequate lighting;
- travelling of machinery;
- break-up of parts rotating at high speed;
- cutting hazard during service on sharp parts (e.g. blades of the mixing and/or chopping device).
It is not applicable to environmental hazards (except noise).
It does not deal with stability when travelling.
This document is not applicable to machines for loading, mixing and/or chopping and distributing silage and/or other feedstuffs which are manufactured before the date of publication of this document by CEN.
Legislation related to this standard
Directive 2006/42/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 May 2006 on machinery, and amending Directive 95/16/EC (recast)Harmonized/Supporting
60.60 Standard published
Jul 14, 2021