This Technical Specification (CEN/TS 16157-1) specifies and defines component facets required to support the exchange and shared use of data and information in the field of traffic and travel.
The component facets include the framework and context for exchanges, the modelling approach, data content, data structure and relationships, communications specification.
This Technical Specification is applicable to:
- traffic and travel information which is of relevance to road networks (non urban and urban);
- public transport information that is of direct relevance to the use of a road network (e.g. road link via train or ferry service).
This Technical Specification establishes specifications for data exchange between any two instances of the following actors:
- Traffic Information Centres (TICs);
- Traffic Control Centres (TCCs);
- Service Providers (SPs).
Use of this Technical Specification may be applicable for use by other actors.
This Technical Specification covers, at least, the following types of informational content:
- road traffic event information - planned and unplanned occurrences both on the road network and in the surrounding environment;
- operator initiated actions;
- road traffic measurement data, status data, and travel time data;
- travel information relevant to road users, including weather and environmental information;
- road traffic management information and information and advice relating to use of the road network.
This part of CEN/TS 16157 specifies the DATEX II framework of all parts of this Technical Specification, the context of use and the modelling approach taken and used throughout these Technical Specifications. This approach is described using formal methods and provides the mandatory reference framework for all other parts.