- provides a set of datatype definitions for representing and exchanging basic concepts that are commonly encountered in healthcare environments in support of information exchange in the healthcare environment;
- specifies a collection of healthcare-related datatypes suitable for use in a number of health-related information environments;
- declares the semantics of these datatypes using the terminology, notations and datatypes defined in ISO/IEC 11404, thus extending the set of datatypes defined in that standard;
- provides UML definitions of the same datatypes using the terminology, notation and types defined in Unified Modelling Language (UML) version 2.0;
- specifies an XML (Extensible Mark-up Language) based representation of the datatypes.
The requirements which underpin the scope reflect a mix of requirements gathered primarily from HL7 Version 3 and ISO/IEC 11404, and also from CEN/TS 14796, ISO 13606 (all parts) and past ISO work on healthcare datatypes.
ISO 21090:2011 can offer a practical and useful contribution to the internal design of health information systems, but is primarily intended to be used when defining external interfaces or messages to support communication between them.
EN ISO 21090:2011
60.60 Standard published
Feb 15, 2011